How to Choose the Right Water Heater for Your Home
What is the best water heater brand? Homeowners seek the answer to this question whenever it’s time to purchase a new water heater. There are many brands out there, and many people have a favorite. However, it’s up to the individual homeowners to decide which brand is truly best for their homes. Think about what your household needs to choose the most effective water heater.
In Indianapolis, Indiana, Williams Comfort Air aids homeowners with the important decision of best water heater brand. Even if you have no knowledge about water heaters, we offer the advice you need to best understand this equipment. We cover when to buy a new water heater, info on the best water heater brands, and the most important features to consider to make your choice easier.
When to Invest
Many struggle to know when they need a new water heater. Some grow concerned if the unit acts up and immediately assume they need a replacement. However, some issues are fixable, like leaks due to loose parts.
The issues below are typically serious enough to warrant a new water heater altogether. If you notice any of these signs at home, now is the time to search for the best water heater brand and replace your existing unit.
- Noises. Sometimes, water heaters make minor noises. In most cases, these noises don’t mean much. However, if the noise you hear is loud and rumbles, something is probably wrong. While these noises don’t automatically mean the water heater needs a replacement, they do indicate some kind of problem with the unit. Have a plumber check the unit to see if the issue warrants a replacement. Noises from age, deterioration, or excessive sediment collection usually means you need to buy a new unit.
- Tank leaks. Water heater leaks are relatively common. In most cases, leaks are solvable with minor repairs or adjustments to the system, as loose components are often the cause. Leaks in the tank, however, are more severe. The only way to fix this issue is to replace the water heater. Thoroughly examine the leak before you invest in a new water heater to ensure it’s really the tank or if it’s an attached component, such as the pressure valve.
- No hot water. The main function of the water heater is to provide your home with hot water. If the unit fails to do this, a problem has occurred. A lot of the time, thermostat issues or broken heating elements are to blame. In some circumstances, though, the water heater itself is too small for the home, which keeps it from heating all of the water. Replacing the unit with an appropriately sized water heater is the best solution.
- Water discoloration. Because most water heaters are made of metal, they are prone to rust. Rust causes water discoloration. If cold and hot water in your home appears brown or reddish, the water heater isn’t the problem. However, if only the hot water changes color, then rust has likely formed on the tank.
- Age. Finally, consider the age of your unit. Most tank water heaters last about 8 to 12 years with proper maintenance, and tankless units may last more than 20 years. As water heaters age, they lose some efficiency and may not perform as well as they used to. They also tend to leak more often and experience more issues. If your unit reaches this age range, it’s time to invest in a new one.
Options for the Best Water Heater Brand
When you look for the best water heater brand, you come across a plethora of options. Because of this, it’s hard to decide which one is actually the best water heater brand. In reality, the best water heater brand depends entirely on the needs of the homeowner. Of course, all water heaters have their pros and cons, but the homeowner must decide which tradeoffs they are willing to make.
Think about your needs as you search through the brands below. These are often considered the best by many homeowners, so assess them carefully.
1978 saw the release of the Navien brand in Korea. Their products are exclusively tankless water heaters because of their high energy efficiency. Navien specializes in residential and light commercial water heaters, which makes them a good choice for homeowners. In fact, some consider them the best water heater brand out there.
Navien offers energy efficient water heaters for every home. Navien wants all homeowners to benefit from efficient products, so they ensure their units are affordable. They also ensure homeowners continue to save money through efficiency with energy-saving technology.
Condensing and non-condensing tankless water heaters are both available. These units differ in how they handle exhaust gases. Condensing models use the exhaust in the heating process, and non-condensing models remove the gases from the area. The former generates an increase in efficiency, and the latter sees a reduction in corrosion.
Along with Navien, Bradford White often is considered the best water heater brand by homeowners. They started in 1881, which makes them the oldest water heater brand on this list. For over 100 years, they have provided America with hot water. They provide hot water to international clients as well.
The brand offers tank and tankless water heaters. They believe in choice at Bradford White, so the company invests time and energy improving both types. Their tank water heaters are some of the most efficient on the market. They use as little natural gas as possible to power the system. Additionally, their tankless water heaters offer superior efficiency ratings.
The brand Rheem began in 1925 by the Rheem brothers, Richard and Donald. They started out in Emeryville, California and quickly spread throughout the nation. Often considered the most diverse water heater company, they also have markets in heating, cooling, water heating, pool and spa heating, and commercial refrigeration. This diversity makes some believe they are the best water heater brand.
Additionally, Rheem covers the spectrum of water heater types in their product list. They sell hybrid models, tank units, and tankless water heaters. Hybrid water heaters utilize a heat pump and a storage tank, which means it combines the efficiency of a tankless model with the storage capacity of a tank unit.
Possibly the most recognizable brand on the list, Kenmore got its start in 1913. However, they started out in refrigeration. The brand grew as a household name because of all their kitchen appliances. They produce stoves, refrigerators, dishwashers, and more. In addition to those, they also make water heaters.
They offer tankless and hybrid water heaters, so homeowners don’t need to choose between storage and efficiency. Their water heaters are efficient, reliable, and affordable. This causes many to believe Kenmore is the best water heater brand.
Founded in 1920, the Japanese company Rinnai is widely considered as the best water heater brand because of its dedication to energy efficiency. They started manufacturing products for the American market in the 1970s and have since taken over the water heating world. They offer budget-friendly tankless water heaters to homeowners who want to benefit from high efficiency but aren’t able to break the bank on a high-tech unit.
Find the Best Water Heater Brand
What makes the best water heater brand depends on the needs of homeowners. Homeowners who don’t understand what they need from a water heater often are disappointed with the unit they select. To avoid this, homeowners must think about their priorities, their hot water usage, and more before they purchase a new water heater. Below are some top features to look for and factors to consider in a new water heater that help maximize user convenience and efficiency.
- Glass-lined tanks. Glass-lined tanks in water heaters help prevent corrosion because they don’t rust. Have you experienced excessive rust corrosion in the past? Do you use well water, which has a higher iron concentration than city water? Both circumstances mean you want to consider a glass-lined tank. However, if the temperature settings are too high, the glass cracks and causes leaks.
- Warranty. Water heater warranties are important to research before you make a purchase. Some water heater brands offer warranties, but they aren’t lengthy and don’t cover the heat exchanger separately. The best water heater brand has added warranty protection for the heat exchanger, as it is a critical system component.
- Anti-scale devices. In tank and water heaters, minerals build and eventually cause cracks in the tank. Anti-scale devices keep that from happening. However, it’s often better to invest in a good warranty rather than anti-scale devices because warranties cover a range of issues and often necessitate maintenance checks in their conditions. Though, if your home uses well water, then anti-scale devices are a big help. It all depends on the needs of your home. If you wish to install a tankless water heater, you may need a separate anti-scale system.
- Tank vs. tankless. The biggest question homeowners ask relates to the type of water heater—tank or tankless? Tank water heaters offer storage and the ability to provide hot water for multiple applications at the same time, but tankless units are more efficient. The best water heater brand offers both types to suit the needs of every home. If you struggle to choose between the two, think about how much hot water you use. If you run multiple hot water applications simultaneously, the tank water heater is likely the better choice.
- Digital displays. Homeowners who have greater control of their water heater often pay less in utility bills. Digital displays are the best way to exert more control over the water heater. These allow you to control the temperature, water usage, and more through a single device. Because of this control, energy usage often drops, which increases efficiency.
- Capacity. Lastly, the size of the water heater matters. The size of the home, household size, and various ways hot water is used dictate the size of the water heater. The best water heater brand offers a range of sizes to fit every home. The correct size water heater ensures the home never goes without hot water.
Williams Comfort Air Knows the Best Water Heater Brand
Williams Comfort Air in Indianapolis, Indiana wants every homeowner to find the best water heater brand for them. Call us today for more information on our services!