Hard Water and Its Effects on Indianapolis Homes
85% of the country has hard water according to HomeWater 101, and Indianapolis is notorious for having some of the hardest water in the country.
Water hardness is the amount of dissolved calcium and magnesium in the water — hard water is high in both calcium and magnesium. The reason you can feel the difference on your skin is because soap reacts with the calcium to form soap scum. This results in the need for more soap or detergent to get things clean. And that’s where the term “hardness” came from… it’s hard to wash in.
The calcium and magnesium in hard water cause problems in your home such as:
- Your skin can feel dry from an invisible soapy film left on it.
- Your hair can look dull and limp from excess filmy shampoo residue.
- Glasses and dishes remain white filmed and spotted even after cleaning.
- Clothes can look gray and dingy because of reduced “sudsing” action.
- Clothes don’t last as long because of the harsh minerals in hard water.
- Clothes can feel stiff or harsh.
- The life of your water heater can be shortened by deposits of scale.
- Utility bills can increase due to accumulated scale in the water heater because scale is a poor conductor of heat which increases the energy needed to heat water.
- The taste of tea and coffee can be affected by hard water.
- Clogged pipes and reduced water flow can be caused by hard water.
- Film and scale can accumulate on tile and bath/kitchen fixtures.
If you notice any of these signs of hard water, our water quality expert can visit your home and analyze your water for only $17. Hard water is only one of the things that the water quality analysis can reveal.