Common Plumbing Repairs
Common plumbing repairs occur for every homeowner. Though no one wants to experience plumbing problems, they do happen from time to time. Plumbers see these issues more than homeowners, but they are ready to find solutions in every home they visit. Some repairs are more common than others because some problems are more frequent than others.
Williams Comfort Air’s plumbers see all types of problems every day. In Indianapolis, Indiana, homeowners experience a number of common issues, but we cover when you need to contact a plumber for repairs. Additionally, we talk about some of the most common repairs. We detail the process for these repairs so you know exactly how a plumber handles the situation.
Common Plumbing Repairs: When You Need Them
Common problems occasionally only need the expertise of a homeowner to fix. However, these issues sometimes mislead homeowners, and are actually much more difficult to handle than they appear. In these cases, professional common plumbing repairs are the only viable solution. These situations all need a professional opinion before anyone takes action.
- Low water pressure. When you experience low water pressure in your home, the reasons range from clogs to burst pipes. Plumbers must assess the situation to properly care for the problem. A plumber tackles low pressure from a clog differently than low pressure from a leak, so it’s important for them to inspect the situation.
- Dripping. Drips anywhere in your plumbing system indicate multiple issues. Without the assistance of a plumber, it’s hard to decipher the root of the issue. If you leave a drip for too long, you experience higher water bills because of the water waste. Common plumbing repairs for this issue often include an inspection of the pipes and fixtures for leaks.
- Clogs. Homeowners often try to deal with clogs on their own. In most cases, this turns out fine. However, there are instances where homeowners actually prolong the problem because they don’t contact a plumber to inspect the issue. If you attempt all of the at-home solutions you know without any results, then it’s time to call a plumber.
- Garbage disposal. Garbage disposals cause homeowners to experience several issues. Usually, these issues are because of misuse or age. Make sure to only dispose of the correct items in the disposal. If the garbage disposal stops working or makes grinding noises, it’s time to call a professional.
- Leaks. Another common problem plumbers need to fix are leaks. Homeowners are able to temporarily mend leaks with repairs sleeves, but these are not long-term solutions. A plumber must properly patch the leak. They use permanent means to fix the leak.
- Noises. Strange noises from the plumbing indicates some kind of issue with the system. Some noises are normal if they only happen every once in a while, but consistent, loud noises need a professional to look at them. Gurgles and hisses are two types of noises you hear when something is amiss.
- Poor water quality. Changes in water quality or poor quality in general usually means something is wrong in the system. Some issues are easy to fix with simple filtration devices, but others are more difficult to handle. The pH of the water and the concentration of iron both have long-term effects on the pipes, and must be taken care of by a plumber.
- Backups. Water flows back into fixtures when the system experiences backups. Commonly, this happens when a toilet flushes and water fills in sinks or bathtubs. Plumbers assess this issue to ensure nothing detrimental to the system occurs. They implement common plumbing repairs when they know the cause of the problem.
The Most Common Plumbing Repairs
Common plumbing repairs are part of a professional plumber’s daily schedule. When homeowners attempt to fix these issues on their own, they occasionally cause more harm than good. Of course, some issues resolve with at-home methods, but it’s always good to have the opinion of a professional. These are some of the most common plumbing repairs our plumbers handle every day.
Garbage Disposal Repairs
Problems with the garbage disposal occur because of misuse or age. In either case, most devices require repairs because the parts themselves break. If you reset the disposal with no luck, it’s time to call a plumber for help with repairs. In the better cases, clogs are the cause of the issue, which the plumber also handles.
Plumbers use tools specific to garbage disposals to help remove blockages, and they replace or repair any broken or malfunctioning parts.
Drain Clearing and Cleaning
Drain cleaning and clearing both help the plumbing work better overall. However, they are different. Drain cleaning refers to the removal of dirt, grease, and other sediment on the sides of the pipes. Drain clearing simply removes blockages from the system.
When a plumber tackles these common plumbing repairs, certain tools work better than others. For example, many plumbers use an auger for clogs. However, they usually use a hydrojet to clean.
Occasionally, plumbers discover the issue lies further in the system than originally thought. For example, if homeowners experience a surface-level clog, they often assume that’s the end of the issue. This isn’t always the case because tree roots are able to grow in the sewer line. Of course, removal of the surface-level clog doesn’t fix the issue with the tree roots. Because of this problem, plumbers use video inspections to confirm the source of the blockage before they take action.
Pipe repairs are common in many households across Indianapolis because of frozen pipes. Homeowners use repair sleeves or pieces of rubber with a clamp to temporarily fix leaky pipes, but plumbers must deal with the problem so a more permanent solution is in place.
Some leaks are more intense than others, and bursts are even possible. This means the plumber assess the situation before they come up with a solution. When they deal with bursts, they often have to replace the burst section. With leaks, they often use strong materials to patch the area and tighten any loose parts.
Water Filter Repairs
Water filter repairs are also common. Now more than ever, homeowners want their water to be the highest quality possible. This means filtration devices receive heavy use. Though the devices are built to last, they do become less effective over time. Plumbers are able to mend filters with simple repairs.
Additionally, plumbers test the quality of the water to see the exact concentration of minerals. This helps them determine the best course of action when they help homeowners with filtration questions. If the pH is too high or low, the plumber performs neutralization to make sure the water doesn’t corrode the pipes.
Water Heater Repairs
Water heater repairs are dangerous for homeowners to tackle on their own. Because of this, it’s important to contact a plumber when you experience tankless water heater issues. Homeowners relight the pilot light, or clean the tank, but that’s it.
Plumbers look at the thermostat, thermocouple, and the pilot to ensure no part of the system is faulty. They also make sure to check if any gas leaks through the heater. When this happens, spontaneous explosions, fires, or carbon monoxide poisoning are possible.
Water Pressure Repairs
Low water pressure fixes depend on the cause. Plumbers use video inspections to determine where the problem starts in the system. They also determine the cause of the problem with the camera. If it’s simply a clog, the plumber removes it.
They also determine if the issue is only a problem for one fixture, or if it’s a system-wide problem. The latter indicates a problem with the sewer line rather than something small like a clog or leak in a pipe, which are some of the more common plumbing repairs.
Benefits of Common Plumbing Repairs
There are several benefits homeowners experience when they invest in common plumbing repairs. Though it’s tempting to fix plumbing issues on your own, a plumber knows exactly how to fix an issue after a small amount of research. They look at your plumbing and come up with the best solution to fit your needs. If a homeowner attempts to fix the issue, but actually makes it worse, then the homeowner pays for the mistake to receive treatment as well as the original problem.
- Increased lifespan. When a professional handles repairs, you know they are done correctly. Not only does this give you peace of mind, it also improves the life of your plumbing. Shoddy repairs do more harm than good, which means they often hasten the demise of the system on the whole. However, when plumbers perform common plumbing repairs, they make sure the job is done right.
- Clearer pipes. In general, proper plumbing maintenance improves the cleanliness of the pipes. However, if you invest in a plumber when you experience clogs or dirty pipes, they stay cleaner and clearer longer. As long as you practice proper disposal habits, the drains and pipes in your home stay cleaner.
- Fewer leaks. Lastly, homeowners experience fewer leaks when they call a professional plumber. Leaks are possible one of the most common plumbing repairs, so plumbers deal with this issue all the time. They know how to fix the leak, and prevent future leaks from occurring.
Overall, homeowners end up with fewer expenses when they hire a plumber for common repairs. If you need a plumber to fix the original issue and your attempts to fix it, then costs pile up. However, if you call a plumber first, you don’t pay more than necessary.
Williams Comfort Air: Experts at Common Plumbing Repairs
Homeowners in Indianapolis, Indiana want to know their common plumbing repairs are done right. Because of this, they turn to Williams Comfort Air when they experience issues in their plumbing. For more information on our repair services, call us today.